They lie about everything that it is possible to lie about, to the detriment of this country and the world. They pass off their narrow opinions as fact. They routinely misrepresent what is actually going on. They pander to politicians and manipulate voters to the extent that they can. They violate— with aplomb and arrogance — every existing known standard of journalistic honor and professionalism.
Mainstream Media in America is 90% owned by six foreign multinational media conglomerates and we have allowed this to go on.
What country in its right mind allows its media to be owned by foreigners?
That’s question Number One.
Why aren’t we forcing the sale of our media infrastructure back to American control and busting these foreign-owned and operated monopolies?
That is question Number Two.
And who is paying these weasels to lie to us?
That is question Number Three.
All three of these questions need to be brought forward to President-Elect Trump’s attention because it isn’t just a simple matter of fact that these media moguls are liars (which they are), but also a matter of why they are liars?
The corruption of American media began long ago, during the Civil War, when the first quid pro quo “arrangements” were made between the media and the Union government, and continued through the Second World War, during which casualty estimates were religiously underestimated and news reports were routinely delayed and tweaked to “maintain morale” or quashed completely for “national security” concerns.
In fact, if Donald Trump cares to look into the history of it all, he will find that the American Media has been under a de facto gag order and under the control of the DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (yet another separate, privately owned and operated “federal” contractor) since 1946.
So they couldn’t tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, even if that is what the weasels wanted to do in the first place.
You would think that as long as the DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE is taking responsibility for the content of our news, it would at least set rational standards and mandate truthful reporting of matters outside its sphere of direct concern—- body counts, foreign invasions, pollution of other countries, drug running by military subcontractors, aka, commercial mercenaries, etc., excepted—– but, no, the jackals in charge have shown no such moderation.
The purpose of our national media along with so much else that is crucial to our functioning has been redefined. Their actual job apart from keeping us in the dark concerning what the US military is doing and how they are doing it, is to sell us goods and services provided by the “federal government” and its franchises and affiliates.
This is why some companies boom and others go bust. This is why the corporate executives fall over themselves to buy $50,000 a plate dinner reservations at political fundraising events.
Big time payola.
I told the story before of how I and my husband and a group of friends tracked “news” stories on the major networks back in the 1980’s and found out that 95% of what we were being fed was (1) not really news and (2) concerned only two subjects— sex and death.
Why would multi-billion dollar businesses subjected to government regulation and gag orders serve no legitimate functions or purposes? Why just story after story about sex and/or death?
The quick answer is that sex arouses our senses and gets our appetites churning so that biologically we are prepared to buy, and fear of death however subtly invoked provides a sense of urgency to do so.
Next time you find yourself staring at a Big Mac on your widescreen TV or an ice cold bottle of Coca-Cola, know for a fact that you are being played— and that the “news” stories you’ve been receiving have served to set you up.
Same thing with all the advertising for drugs, services, and everything else. The major media organizations are actually not news or information services— they are full-on, 24/7 marketing networks. Their job isn’t to inform you. Their job is to sell you things—- and to sell you things (including government services) that probably aren’t good for you and which you probably don’t really need— but which benefit their stockholders and subscribers.
That is what the one-time profession of journalism has been reduced to, and we must lament that the Fourth Estate is no more—- at least not on the public airwaves that belong to us, which are being commandeered and used for selfish private purposes by the government services corporations and all their political hangers-on.
As part of his transition, Mr. Trump has set up a website to solicit our ideas on how to make America “Great Again”—– let’s start with reforming the media sources in this country, shall we?
Here’s Mr. Trump’s website: https:www.greatagain.gov/
Here’s my first suggestion:
1. Bust the foreign media monopolies. Break them up like Reagan busted Ma Bell. No monopoly of our business sectors should be allowed, either by foreign or domestic interests, and there is certainly no sense in allowing our media sources to be commandeered and dominated and monopolized by foreign conglomerates.
2. Require formal Notice of foreign ownership of newspapers, radio, television, and other forms of media every time these programs and printed products are aired or issued by foreign owned and/or foreign operated media corporations.
3. Put an end to the de facto DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE gag orders. If our military is doing something dirty, we need to know as soon as the rest of the world knows.
4. Promote (and if possible, legislatively mandate) American control and ownership of all major media sources in this country, so that foreign interests no longer secretively dominate our airwaves and printing presses. The New York Times is owned by a South American drug lord. Hello? Other equally shady interests own large portions of the media and control the American Press Corps by default. Time to change that, Congress. Time to change that, Mr. Trump.
5. Promote media consumer awareness so that the American People not only realize that they are being sold products and services under the guise of informing them, but also know who is doing the selling.
Mr. Trump has noticed and realized first-hand that the Mainstream Media is nothing but a bunch of Shinola Artists, but beyond calling them out as a bunch of liars, it doesn’t appear that he knows why they are a bunch of liars—who they are, who they work for, under what restrictions, and what motivates this vile betrayal of trust.
Let’s tell him who owns the media outlets in America. Let’s tell him what the American Press Corps cannot, for fear of losing their jobs, as well as their souls.